There are 10 lessons in this course:
1. Introduction to freelancing
• Scope of freelance writing (types of writing, where to begin, styles, etc). Getting help finding resources & contacts, understanding industry terminology.
2. Basic writing skills
• The definition of communication, types of communication, types of language, clear wording, concise wording, parts of speech, grammar, punctuation.
3. The publishing world
• Periodicals, books, remaindering, copyright, publishers advertising conditions, public lending rights, contracts, selling.
• Types of printing, preparing a type script, etc.
5. Planning what you write
• Mechanics of writing, developing an idea, sentence structure, precis, planning what you write, building a paragraph.
6. Newspaper writing
• Newspapers, regular columns, fillers, short features, etc.
7. Magazine writing
• Travel writing, magazine articles/features, determining potentially marketable articles.
8. Writing books
• Non fiction, fiction, short stories, determining what to write and developing an idea.
9. Writing advertising
• Writing a press release, writing an advertisement, writing for public relations, etc.
10. Special project
• Planning and developing a manuscript for a small book.
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.